St. Charles Parish - Overview
A brief history of St. Charles Parish
In 1805, two years after the Louisiana Purchase, "Louisiana" only consisted of the current land west of the Mississippi River and the Isle of Orleans (the land on the east bank of the Mississippi River and south of Bayou Manchac). Our state was known as the Territory of Orleans and it's governing body, the Legislative Council, divided the territory into twelve counties: Acadia, Attakapas, Concordia, German Coast, Iberville, Lafourche, Natchitoches, Opelousas, Orleans, Ouachita, Pointe-Coupée, and Rapides. German Coast County included the Catholic Church parishes of St. Charles Borromeo and St. John the Baptist, commonly called the first and second German Coasts.
On March 31, 1807 the Legislative Council of the Territory of Orleans redivided the original twelve counties into nineteen parishes, based on the ecclesiastical boundaries of the period of Spanish government.
At this point German Coast county was divided into St. Charles Parish and St. John the Baptist Parish. The courthouse was established on the west bank near Hahnville. The Territory of Orleans along with the West Florida Republic became the state of Louisiana in 1812. By 1861 the current boundaries of St. Charles Parish were in place.
Send Comments or Questions to webmaster.